Do you love writing scary stories? We’re looking for the scariest, most imaginative tales for our upcoming Scary Story Writing Contest. Stories will be judged by a panel of library staff, along with our Special Guest Judge, local author and illustrator Rick Stromoski.
Story Submission Details
Eligibility: This contest is open to Authors in Grades 1-3 and 4-5.
Prize: One author in each age category will win a Halloween-themed Squishmallow.
When: Submissions will be accepted Monday, October 2 through Saturday, October 21, 2023. Stories will not be accepted after 11:59 pm on Saturday, October 21.
How: Please print and completely fill out this submission form. (Paper copies are available at the library.) Bring the form and story to the children’s desk at the library OR send copies via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other Important Information:
- Authors must have permission from their parent or guardian to participate.
- Only one story per author.
- No co-authoring; all stories must have one single author.
- Stories should be 1000 words or less.
- Illustrations are welcome but not required and do not count against the word limit.
- Adults can help with typing and submitting the story, but all other aspects must be the work of the child.
- We would love to share the stories we receive, specifically in a book in the children’s room. The submission form asks permission for us to do so. This is not required to participate in the contest or to win a prize. We will not reproduce any material for commercial purposes.