THE ALEXANDER KING HOUSE
Dr. Alexander King, “a prudent and beloved physician”, Suffield Selectman for thirty years, Town Clerk for twenty- eight, State Representative from 1768 to 1784, built his center-chimney home in 1764. It has six fireplaces and eleven rooms. When Mr. and Mrs Samuel Spencer bought the house in 1910. they found it virtually unaltered. They made repairs. decorated and furnished it and in 1960 gave it to the Suffield Historical Society.
The house has three main features. The long south porch leading to the Doctor’s office is original. The fine corner cupboard in the dining room was probably built by Eliphalet King, Suffield Cabinetmaker. The third feature is the panel painting over the dining room fireplace which is attributed to Carlos, son of Alexander King.
Most of the furnishings are 18th and early 19th Century. Outstanding collections include Bennington pottery, early bottles, and tobacco artifacts as a reminder that the first cigar factory in America was in Suffield in 1810.
The King House Museum is located at
232 South Main Street (Route 75), Suffield
just a few miles north of Bradley International Airport.
It is open Wednesdays and Saturdays
from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. from May through September.
Group arrangements can be made at other times.
For information phone 203-668-5286 or 203-668-2513.
Suffield Historical Society members admitted without charge.